Call In Love This Valentine’s Day With These 3 Beginner Love Spells
Call In Love This Valentine’s Day With These 3 Beginner Love Spells Spirituality & Relationships Sarah Regan Our editors have independently chosen the products listed on this page. If
Magick has been used for centuries to help us call in our deepest desires, and what do we desire more—particularly on
Valentine’s Day—than love? From love for ourselves to love from another, love spells are accessible to all of us and
can help us manifest the loving energy we want in our lives. Here’s a bit on the history of love magick, plus three beginner spells to try for yourself this Valentine’s Day.
Love magick can be traced back through history to as early as 2200 BCE, in the ancient Near East (present-day Iraq,
southeast Turkey, southwest Iran, northeastern Syria, and Kuwait), we well as in ancient Egypt. As time went on, these practices were picked up in ancient Greek and Roman cultures, continued on through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and are still around today.
Magick has, generally speaking, always been associated with women and witches, and love magick specifically includes anything from literal spells to things like potions, rituals, dolls, and so on. Today, as more people open up to the potential of magick, novice witches are keen to try their hand at beginner spells and rituals.
And just as an FYI, “magick” with a “k” serves to create a distinction from stage magic, or illusion. It was first coined by Aleister Crowley, who created the Thelema religion and led the spiritual practice that would become Wicca. How you spell it is really up to your preference.
3 beginner spells to try.
Similar to manifesting, crystal work, and the like, the following spells are a way to channel intention and get clear on what it is you want. For your intention to come true, it’s always important to pair action with your spell to actively work toward what you’re calling in.
As Gabriela Herstik, author of Inner Witchand Bewitching the Elements, explains to “I think the most powerful love spell there is—instead of just casting a spell—is embodying the energy of love, becoming love, and acting as a magnet for that. And figuring out what it means for you to romance yourself, what it means for you to have a relationship with love internally before you move to having that externally.”
1. A spell for strengthening love.
For a spell that can not only strengthen existing love but also attract a particular partner, Skye Alexander, author of The Modern Witchcraft Book of Love Spells, describes the “Sealed With a Kiss” spell, which involves infusing a love letter with magick to boost love in that particular partnership.
“In days of old, people used wax to seal letters,” she explains. “This spell harkens back to that lovely tradition. It also taps the visual magick of Norse runes to express your intention.” Here’s how to do it.What you’ll need:
- 1 pink or red candle in a holder
- Matches or a lighter
- A piece of pretty paper and an envelope
- A pen with red ink
- A nail, athame, or another pointed tool
- Light the candle and set it on a table, desk, or another surface where you will work.
- On the paper, write a love letter to your partner (someone with whom you are currently involved—or one you wish to attract).
- When you’ve finished, fold the sheet of paper and slip it into the envelope. Hold the candle slightly tilted, and drip some of the melted wax onto the flap of the envelope to seal it.
- After the wax has cooled somewhat but is still soft, inscribe the rune called gebu in the wax. A symbol for love and partnership, it simply looks like an X.
- You may then mail the letter to your beloved or lay it on your bedside table. If you’re into feng shui, you could also place it in the relationship section of your home.
This easy spell from Herstik involves the use of honey and alcohol for attracting and strengthening love. She explains it can be tweaked for a variety of intentions, but here, we’ll use particular herbs and crystals that work with loving energy. Again, as Herstik notes, it’s always important to remember to embody love yourself as you are trying to attract it into your life.What you’ll need:
- A small to medium-size jar
- Alcohol of choice (vodka, rum, tequila, etc.)
- Rose petals and thorns to represent love with healthy boundaries
- Herbs that correspond with love (think blue lotus for an aphrodisiac, lavender for healing, cinnamon for lust and sex, patchouli for passion, oregano for good luck, and so on)
- A crystal like rose quartz (optional)
- A piece of paper and pen
- A candle
- Matches or a lighter